Monday, August 9, 2010

Iphone 4 Bandwagon: Should I Hitch a Ride?

April 2010, Silicon Valley: News about the existence of Iphone 4 leaked out after Apple's software engineer accidentally 'misplaced' the prototype in a bar. It revealed upgrades of the Iphone 3: video on high-definition, video-calling made possible with its front camera, better picture quality with its 5 mega-pixel camera. I was thrilled.

June 2010, US: People camped out all night just to be one of those chosen few who could get hold of the Iphone 4 first. Despite the information leakage, which was thought to discourage sales numbers, Iphone 4 hit three million of units sold in three weeks, and counting. And counting. It is becoming a phenomenon. I thought it was crazy.

Blackberry, the preferred phone of the corporate world, is beginning to decline its marketability. It is being replaced by Iphone. Bankers in London started it. It has been predicted that only a matter of time before all other businesses follow suit. Iphone 4 is gradually becoming a necessity, at least in the business world.

However, despite it being Apple's smartest phone so far, a glitch in the system arose. They said if the device is held wrongly, it disrupts reception. The signal bar decreases, which Steve Jobs explained as a usual fact across all wireless devices. Some other devices have worse flaws, theirs is rectifiable. The company addressed it by giving away free casing. The masses bought the resolution, continued purchasing the product, making Steve Jobs and its company, Apple, topple Microsoft as the giant in the technology industry.

August 2010, US: Today, Apple executive in charge of engineering, Mark Papermaster, resigned over complaints of poor reception. Hmm.. Just when I thought everything was under control. What's wrong with this picture?

And the most important question is, should I buy it?

August 2010, SG: My tech life is complete. I have my wonderful laptop, my pink Ipod, my faithful phone, and my fantastic DSLR camera. But when news spread about Iphone 4, it almost made me want to have one. The package is beautiful, with it I can be online 24/7, downloadable games are possible through Itunes. Iphone 4 is a status symbol. Should I take a ride on the bandwagon, then?

Hmm.. If connecting with my family overseas and the rest of the world will make Steve Jobs richer than he is now, if it means having to shell out some sweat and blood, hard-earned money and be committed for two years because of the plan, if it means having to be online more and personal interaction lesser, to be able to play more games and read lesser books, lesser humdrum moments and lesser contemplations... Hmm. I am having qualms.

We'll see.

No comments: