Sunday, January 2, 2011

One.One.OneOne

It is that day of the fresh year when reminiscing is worthwhile. They do it on TV. I am doing in on my blog.

2010. Ten years ago the world panicked when earth turned its second thousand. Everyone was stricken with the possibility of world end, bugs to hit the palpable and the not. But the earth evolved faithfully around the sun; not a single speck of time was spent apart. Now the most feared year is 2012, based on the Mayan calendar. The world never loses reasons for anxiety.

February 2010: I acquired the skill for cycling. It needs further harnessing, I must admit. But the courage I gathered to put my feet and began pedaling was a blast to start my year. I knew I would go places.

February 2010: Another valiant act. I plucked up courage and signed up for volunteer teaching a year before. I commenced doing what I dreamt doing in this month. My Sundays have been polished with multi-color rainbow since. Innocence draped me.

July 2010: I came. I saw. I conquered Malacca, Malaysia. This little town six hours coach drive from Singapore has rich Portuguese influence. I encountered a familiar name when I was skimming through its brief history in its famous museum. He kind of came by our country in the eighteen hundreds. I didn't know he was a jet-setter, or a ship-setter, or a trend setter for conquering worlds during his time. Ferdinand Magellan was an island hopper! I was blown away.

September 2010: I met some college friends. We used to be acquaintances, but thanks to the enormous empowerment designated to Facebook, we reattached and communicated into a friendly level. We let go of the sour past; it was never even brought up. My circle of friends expanded.

September 2010: I attended a religious seminar in the nearby church, and it opened doors to a wider possibility of faith improvement. I joined another ministry with fellow youths. I gained a handful of friends. It introduced me to a deeper relationship with God.

November 2010: I finished a number of books this year, The Life of Pi, Memory, and the latest Room. It improved my vocabulary. I rekindled my love of blogging. My lexicon list elongated like a month's grocery list. My sentence construction ameliorated.

November 2010: A friend working in Dubai took a short trip from Manila to Singapore before heading back to her workplace. We sojourned in Phuket, Thailand. It was my first time to travel with her, my first to wear bikini (haha!), and my first to be literally fried out in the sun (with my SPF 70 on). My friend complained that the clouds stole the big ball of fire from us, I was rejoicing that the sun happily obliged to be kidnapped by the sky. Everyone folded their umbrellas and made use of the little sunshine that great, big yellow star, though masked, exuded generously. I was, under my big man-made shade, with SPF 70 on, enjoying the dance of the sun behind the clouds.

December 2010: I went home for Christmas. I have been away from home for three years now; this was my first time to go home twice in a span of one year. It was a tear-jerker. This business of arriving and departing has proven one solid fact: I am such a cry baby.

I am looking forward to 2011. This is going to be a roller-coster ride, in the depth of finding my self and my other half. I took the courage to move away from my comfort zone. My adaptation to this endevour is taking a cozy rest. It is bad news. I must go on. When our ancestors decided to widen their turfs and explored new heights, civilization was born. I must do the same. The prominent virtue last year was courage. I will fully utilize it even if it is the only fuel that powers me.

Twenty eleven, carpe diem. ^^

No comments: