Thursday, July 28, 2011

Angel

When Facebook was born along with its sibling social network, Twitter (I am not sure if they were introduced at the same timing), the world compounded into a device that fit in the palm of our hands. The world instantaneously shrunk into a touch of a finger.

Humans beings are a free animal. We traverse the world back and forth, leaving loved ones to achieve our goals. I left my country for greener pasture without realizing the fact that doing so required a compromise. And I compromised unintentionally.

I phoned my brother today. Since he got his new job, which I am very proud of, there never was an occasion that he tried to communicate with me. Both of us are using Blackberry, the messaging service is free and accessible. It was never maximized.

The downside to learning to live on my own is that loved ones have likewise gotten used to my absence. When I went home for a short trip to my hometown, there never was an event that my brother took time off just to kill it by chatting with me. Like he did before. I guess to compromise is to embrace change that it drags with it. My brother's world revolves around his fiancé now; sooner or later he will have a family of his own. Sooner or later, a glimpse of him will only be a privilege. Sooner or later, when he becomes busy with his life and kids, hearing his voice will only be through retrieval from memory.

If only I could turn back time.

No comments: