Friday, July 1, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis

I was not expecting to gather some insights from the movie Transformers 3 that I saw yesterday. However, I was taken aback by one of the scenes, the exchange of conversation between Sam and his future boss Bruce Brazo, played by John Malkovich, during his job interview. Bruce mentioned something like the first job is crucial, because it either makes the career or he has landed in some corporate pit and will be enslaved against his will for eternity. The statement's impact was powerful It rewound me to my novice days.

Failed job interviews and an immediate attainment of money-centered goals led me away from my dream. I wanted to be a writer, I ended up being a banker. The management of this blog is a form of containing my sanity. It is my freedom.

I had a conversation with a friend today on our way home. I asked her if she was happy. "I could be happier", she replied. The question bounced to me; I accepted it with curious thinking and a heavy sigh. The answer was as clear as the glass window on a stormy night.

In the Book of Happiness, one expert stated that people tend to concentrate their lifespan on making money, and, in effect, spend this hard-earned money to restore what has been destroyed in the process. I became wiser, I gained a little, I missed out celebrations, triumphs and sorrows in return. My mother tries to refill the missed episodes by cooking for me all the meals that I have been yearning. We try to avoid mushy conversation, or we will sleep on wet pillows throughout the night. In the wee hours of my contemplation, I wonder if our sacrifices are worth all the dollars that I exchanged it for. The answers are elusive.

My only prayer is for God to grant me the courage to give up pride, so I can embrace home for good.

No comments: