Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bucket List

After watching the trailer of the movie Bucket List a few years ago, ideas of my own to-do list before hitting the grave flashed before me, resembling that scene in the Matrix where series of numbers were descending in haste they had the probability of exploding my brain. Fortunately, my head didn't. My heart did, from excitement.

I reached my abode at half past midnight today trying to fulfill one of those dreams. It was not as big as conquering my fear of heights and jumping off a cliff tied only in a rope (for one, there ain't no cliff in Singapore! Thank God.) It was not about proposing to some random guy to fulfill my mom's wildest dream of me getting married before the year ends. Prioritizing is a skill that requires high emotional quotient and logical thinking. My bucket list started smooth and comfy. So comfy I stayed on a seat for two and a half hours trying to digest the rigorous plot of Cloud Atlas glinting changing eras sequentially in front of me. The first in the bucket list: watching a movie ALONE.

must.buy.the.book
As independent as I am, considering the fact that I manage to live outside my comfort zone by myself, oceans apart from the people whom my heart has taken residence, I have not done seeing a film by myself. It did cross my mind; I have done interviews of those who actually enjoy the act. Yesterday, I made up my mind. It was the most courageous decision I have made this early part of the year.

It was not so bad. I loved the idea! The morning I conceived of it, a smile plastered on my face that lasted me the whole day, knowing that I'd be subjecting myself to doing a 'first' for the heck of it. I called my brother and told him of the news. He called me a loser. I defended that this glorious deed has to be achieved by every human being at least once in their lives if they want their mortal existence to be an accomplished one, which he agreed. Besides, it was actually very cool.

The movie was great! I gasped, covered my eyes and ears numerous times to avoid fully sensing the ghastly parts, and put on my detective hat trying to find the missing link in the movie's wondrous plot. I decided to buy the book, and have made a trip to the nearby bookshop this evening to make a reservation.

To be in charge of something personal, to not adjust to other's demands and be very conscious of a fair deal, to watch the movies, or not to, at my own timing and moods, self-centeredness has its own reward. Independence is being able to choose whether a company or self-indulgence is applicable, and making decisions, big or small, beneficial to one self without treading on others. A 'me' time is essential. It is about realizing the inner person within each of us, knowing it gradually to step out of it eventually, ready to embrace and accept others wholeheartedly. Striking off an entry on the bucket list, which was the main goal of this experiment, is incognito secondary.

What is next on the bucket list? Seeing Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, up close! :)

No comments: