Sunday, November 22, 2009

Nothing lasts.

Nothing. Nothing lasts. Nothing ever lasts.

I have heard this cliche before. I know what the meaning is. But it didn't really sink in. Nothing lasts. Ok. So what. Big deal.

But it really is a big deal.

A week ago, a zit popped out of my zit-free face. I freaked out. It is not just one pimple. There are five of them now, to be exact, not including the small bumps that are almost pimple but really aren't (I hope they aren't). They were popping out, one by one. I almost cried.

Don't read me wrongly here. It is not that pimples are a big thing to me. It's just that I never had this much at one time. So this was a big change. And that's when it struck me. Nothing lasts forever. Not even my pimple-free face.

When I was still in the Philippines, I always wondered what would happen to my life. It was redundant then. I would always call up a friend at night, ask her what would transpire in the future, as if she holds the key. She would just patiently repeat her forecasts to ease my worries. And it did. But when the next day came and ended, I felt the need to call her again. I needed to listen to her prognosis.

I was still pimple-free then.

When I got here, I finally apprehended how big the world is, how tremendous the opportunities are, and how much I would be missing had I stayed home. Sure my spider veins have increased rapidly, so has my set of friends. I missed home; I was welcomed by a second one. Pimples are cropping up, but I'm still handed compliments. Despite this flaw. Despite all my other flaws. I have never really known how flattery feels, until I got here. It's good to hear them verbalized by someone else's lips.

And now these pimples. According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I guess these pimples are a minute "reaction" to pay for everything life is letting me experience. And just like Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, the pimples signify both a tragedy and a comedy.

And I know I'll say goodbye to these pimples in no time. ^^

No comments: