I didn't have the slightest intention to go the doctor. However, last night, after taking a nap, I checked my temperature because I felt hot. It was 38.1. I got scared. I called my mom and she advised me to go and see a doctor. It was already 10pm. I have a medical record in the clinic near our block, so I checked the card the clinic gave me. They were open up to 10pm only.
It is amazing what perseverance can do. I decided to call the clinic first to verify their operating hours. It was a long day for them, they had a lot of patients yesterday, and yes, they were up to 10pm only. Extension was subject to approval by the good doctor. Though the nurse was very accommodating, she discouraged me to see him as they were already closing. I insisted. I asked her if a 38.1 temperature was safe to be procrastinated, I would not mind delaying it. I could sense hesitation in her voice upon hearing my situation. I told her I could run from my house to the clinic. I was at the front door opening the gate, without changing clothes nor combing my hair, when she called me again. I was told to see him the next day. Still I insisted.
The medical profession is a philanthropy. The doctor had quite a number of patients. I know he's tired. But the greatest fraction of being in this benevolent field is their big humanitarian heart. I reached the clinic some minutes after ten. I was attended with great care. Though the nurse told me the doctor was not in a good mood anymore, I didn't perceive it. He was still listening patiently, doing his normal routines, thinking and prescribing. He didn't show any sign of exasperation, and I admire him for that.
After I was given my medication and was ready to leave, we heard someone outside the clinic begging for help. The lady's daughter, maybe about two years old, was having high fever. After consulting with the doctor, the nurse let them in. When God showered all the virtues in this sinful world, doctors might have captured most of them, if not all. I guess it is no longer the logical side that dictates them what to do. They are ruled by their hearts. I left the clinic, psyched up to eat dinner again and take the medicine, but the night was still young for the doctor. But I don't think it mattered to him. When one is governed by their humanity, everything else is secondary.
No comments:
Post a Comment