Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FB



Facebook. I did not realize the enormity and limitless scope of Facebook, until I spoke to one girl yesterday.

That was my first time to see her. But it seemed like I was familiar to her. She approached my counter, looking directly at me. I began doing her transaction. And then she asked, "What camera are you using?"

I was flabbergasted. "I saw your pictures," she added. She saw my pictures? How could that be? She is not acquainted with me. Was she from the church? One of the hundred faces I encounter everyday? Was she a friend on Facebook? I know everyone in my list. Surely, she is not one of them. My puzzled reaction caught her that she replied, "I saw your pictures from William (a friend on Facebook)". So it is Facebook!

No wonder Mark Zuckerberg is a millionaire now. He co-founded the most popular social networking site, elevating his name to be one of the world's millionaires. To top that, he is only 26. He was once a geek whose sole intention was to attract girls. So he concocted the most popular site in his dormitory when he was still a student, thus the birth of Facebook. Today, voluptuous and the prettiest girls are not only magnetized to him; businesses believe in him. In a normal Facebook page, advertisements are visible, and a variety of them are a mainstay. Zuckerberg has been all over the world to give talks about the success of his project. He is to be emulated.

Speaking of the unbounded world of facebooking, it made me wary over information I readily made available in the cyber superhighway. Facebook does not detect hits; I am not fully aware who views my page. And this made me circumspect. I enjoyed posting statements and photos, unaware of the publicity my life gets. I understand why some prefer excluded from this social site. Some moments in life are private. We can leave it at that.

P.S. I was flattered when the girl mentioned it to me, though. It brightened my day to know that someone appreciates my photos, aside from the recognition I solicit from my friends and loved ones. I felt myself blushing. :)

No comments: