Saturday, November 20, 2010

So long, Dobby

I just finished watching the film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I am done with crying. My eyes are not done being red.

He is one of the most memorable characters in the series. A house elf who had been freed accidentally by Harry, making him eternally grateful to him. He saved Harry a number of times in return. But some good things just never last.

Like the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings, elves are unworthy of attention in the wizarding world. They are the untouchables, slavering yet offering unimaginable fidelity as their main purpose. Not that they opted for this status, but for some historic, epical years, their existence was no more than that creature that cleans houses and scrubs floors. So imagine Dobby's gratitude when Harry freed him, a privilege as scarce as the blue moon; he exalted Harry and revered him like a god.

I have read the book once. After tonight, I was inspired to reopen and relive every word in it. I recall weeping over the loss of Dobby the first time I came across it; tonight was a deja vu. The value of someone like Dobby as applied in our daily life has been accentuated. The ones we thought of as lowly and insubstantial can be the ones that will greatly affect us. They literally and metaphorically extricate us. Dobby was considered a speck of dust and was totally ignored by society, but Harry might have fumbled to Valdermort a number of times if not for this minion who addresses himself by his own name. Their bond teaches us to treat everyone fairly, regardless of religion, of societal norms, of physical deformation, of flaws, because all life forms are worthy. Our lives are intertwined; we all need each other one way or another.

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf. Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends." Indeed, he did. Well done, Dobby. :')

No comments: